Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Use Sentiment as Focal Point

Hello friends!
I am popping in with a card that uses sentiment as the main focus for the design.
Originally I made this card for the Simon Says Stamp Encouraging Words Blog Hop. 
I set out to feature this stamp set called "Big Words".
s 
I had high hope for it when I came up with the design. I also enjoyed the creative process....
However, once it's completed and photographed, I realized it was a bit lackluster and seems a little ...well, blah.
 
live love laugh

Anyhow, I wonder if you have doubts with your own creations sometimes. In the end, I decided to share because this card involves some good techniques and perhaps this can still inspire you?

Key elements in this card: 
1. use two types of die (Stitched Rectangles and Wonky Hearts)
2. stamp multi-colored sentiment with MISTI
3. dry-emboss Wonky Hearts with Spellbinder Tan Embossing Mat
4. Clear-emboss the sentiment (inked with Distress Oxide)
5. watercolor the heart and background with Gansai Tambi Watercolors

live love laugh-001

I am still stuck in the multi-color vibe....
live love laugh-002

My random vacation photo share.
On July 17th, David and I rent a bike to rode it from Amsterdam to the countryside.
We did 40 KM (with a brief ferry ride included) in 3 and half hours!!
We were pressed for time as we were due back to the hotel to meet a Dutch friend!
 It was a super fun yet tiring/grueling (for me) experience. Glad that we did it though.


Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

Dawn Turley said...

Gorgeous card. And what lovely photos of your holiday. Looks like you enjoyed your ride

Purple Princess said...

Very cool lettering!

HJ said...

I love this card, Virginia. It is so colorful and artsy with a sweet sentiment. Yes, I think sometimes we all have doubts about our cards, but the recipient doesn't know what your intentions were, just that they received a beautiful handmade card. Great pics of your vacation. We visited Amsterdam a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have a great day!

Teresa Doyle said...

A really great card Virginia, I don't know why YOU would doubt any of your creations. Me however, sadly I do it nearly every time. LOL Of course, we are usually our own worst critics, right?
You are pretty plucky to bike that far and long. Good for you!

conil said...

I'm sure David took good care of his Mom while biking through Dutch countryside. Unlike a lot of us he looks like he was born on a bike. Your colorful multistamping on this card looks amazing.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love your trio of words in the heart, Virginia! And well done on completing that bike ride - looks like you and David had fun!!

Harriet said...

To me, this is a happy card..meaning one that brings a smile! You wrote.... Anyhow, I wonder if you have doubts with your own creations sometimes. Oh my did you touch me, I have doubts more often than I have 'eureka' moments. My mind 'sees' a card and I struggle mightily.

Wonderful photos, so nice to see David -I love his smile- your bike ride sounded fun and tiring. The windmills are wonderful to see.

Sue LD said...

I like it--I don't think it is blah. Sometimes I am too critical of my own creations but find someone else likes it or looks better to me on another day.

Lisa Elton said...

I think it's a lovely card Virginia! It seems to me that the cards I'm not exactly thrilled with are the ones my followers like the most. Go figure!!

Marlena M. said...

I think this is such a sweet card~I love the dimension and subtlety Virginia! Your pics are incredible~kudos to you for doing it (I was thinking about how grueling that sounds and then I read your last sentence :) ).